Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween 2011


The girls talk about Halloween all year long.  They love this holiday! 

Junie dressed as a witch, just as she said she would on November 1st of last year.  Cosette dressed as a ladybug.  She changed her mind many times before settling on the ladybug costume.  We started Halloween off at the local fire station, where the firefighters host a party for the kids.  They each got a bag full of about a half pound of candy each…there were also toothbrushes and floss included with the candy.  Our girls love brushing and flossing possibly as much as they love candy, so this tickled them pink. 

Then we went trick-or-treating.  The girls loved ringing doorbells and took turns doing so.  They were good about saying “trick-or-treat” and “thank you,” but Cosette couldn’t thank the people without also bursting out, “We go to another house now!”  After the very first house, she looked into her bag, grinned and said in a surprised voice, “I got candy!!  That lady gave me candy!!”  It was the moment when she finally realized what this whole holiday was all about.  She also was Little Miss Captain Obvious and starting saying hilarious things to people.  One man opened the door and as he put candy in the girls’ bags Cosette immediately noticed that his jeans had holes at the knees.  She pointed at his jeans and burst out, “You have BIG holes in your pants!”  At another house, a teenager answered the door in her volleyball uniform, so she was wearing really short shorts.  Cosette didn’t say “trick-or-treat.”  Instead she pointed and said, “You have nakey legs!  That’s funny!!”  At one house, a dog barked from the garage as we approached, and when a woman answered the door Cosette said, “You have a mean wolf in your house!”  She was quite the little character.  Junie couldn’t wait to eat her candy.  She asked us about 800 times if she could eat some! 

Junie had her Halloween party at school on Tuesday so she got to wear her costume again.  She’d been talking for weeks about this because she could hardly wait to see what her teachers would dress up as!  Ms. Jill was a black cat, Ms. Stacey was Princess Leia, Ms. Lindsay was a garden gnome, and Mr. Kevin was a superhero.  Junie continues to adore her teachers and has so much fun at school.  Cosette insisted on wearing her costume to drop-off and pick-up Junie, so she could show Ms. Jill her costume!  Everyone was so nice to make a fuss over her about how cute she looked!   

The girls have already planned out what they want to be next year.  Junie wants to be a cowgirl (or as she says, a “girl cowboy”) and Cosette wants to be a fairy.  We’ll see how many times they change their minds before next Halloween.   

My surgery is Monday and I am remarkably calm about it.  I’ve been spending much of my time stressing over Junie’s health problems.  Her fever spikes are back, as are some of her other odd symptoms, and her blood tests indicate some type of rheumatological issue.  We see a specialist here on December 8th, but our pediatrician is trying to get us an appointment at the University of Michigan because we might be able to get in there sooner.  It’s all quite stressful.  We’d just like a diagnosis so we can get Junie on the road to better health.  Fingers crossed for an appointment soon, but it doesn’t look likely. 

The October 2011 album on the right has some more Halloween photos, as well as some other cute ones. 

Recent conversations in our house:

Cosette:  Daddy, what's for dinner?
John:  Chicken, rice, and corn.
Junie:  Yuck!  I want ice cream!
Cosette:  Yay!  I want chicken, rice, and corn!

***

The girls were pouring over a toy catalog that came in the mail and they kept interrupting my cleaning chores to ask me to read toy descriptions.  I finally asked them to wait until I was done and then I'd read them all to them.  Then I overheard this:

Cosette:  What's that toy?  I want that from Santa.
Junie:  That's too big for Santa's sleigh.
Cosette:  What is it?  What do the words say about it?
Junie:  I don't know.  [Long pause]  But one of us better learn to read!

***

Cosette:  I'm going to get lots of candy and eat it all up and fill up my tummy.
Me:  Will you share some with me?
Cosette:  No, because I'm sharing it with my little fairies.  [She's referring to her imaginary friends.  This kid has the whole world figured out already.]

***

The girls were sitting across the table from each other. 

Junie:  Stop it, Sissy!  Stop it!   I don't like that!  Stop it!!  Don't!!!
Me:  What is going on?
Junie:  Sissy keeps looking at me like she's a mean hungry wolf.  It's scary and I don't like it.
Cosette:  No I'm not.
Junie:  Yes you are.
Cosette:  No I'm not.
Junie:  Yes you ARE!!!
Me:  Stop arguing.  Don't worry about it.
Cosette: [under hear breath]  I'm a hungry dragon, not a hungry wolf.

3 comments:

  1. They look so cute and happy in their costumes. Linus is similar to Junie in that on Halloween he announces to me what he wants to be next year. What surprises me is that he never changes his mind. He says he wants to be a dinosaur next year, but is still narrowing down the list of species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But one of us better learn to read." I love this quote!

    ReplyDelete